Do I need to be documented?

If your vessel is over 5 net tons, you must be documented if you are going to charter. If you are under 5 net tons, you must be registered in with a state govement, and if that state has commercial vessel regulations, you must comply with those regulations also.

How do I know it I need to be documented or registered by my State?

Generally, if your vessel is 25 ft or larger you will need to be documented. The 5 net tons is not the weight of your vessel, it is derived from measuring the volume of the areas that you can carry people or items aboard your vessel. There is an excel spread sheet that you can use to help you see if you need to be documented. to assist you with the definations, click here.